Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Stay in Apalachicola, FL


March 3 - 17: This session was held in Apalachicola, Florida, which was sunny but chilly. I stayed at the historic  Gibson Hotel which was a great subject in itself! The town is packed with great old structures and many shrimp boats. Shrimp & oysters were the order of the four days there. From there, I traveled a short distance to Mexico Beach, where I was the guest of Tom & Peggy Wood at the fascinating Driftwood Inn. A fine oil painter, Tom looks to do more plein air painting with watercolors. He caught on very quickly. I stressed mixing colors on the paper and not on the palette. It allows for cleaner washes and no mud which makes a great difference.













2 comments:

  1. Love the art and enjoyed meeting you that afternoon in St. Augustine. My cousin and I never invited a man to join us for lunch in our whole lives...you must have good vibes.

    Happy travels to you.

    Sandi Robison
    Ocala

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Don, I am really enjoying following your tour. Love your drawings. Thanks for posting! I got your book "Drawing For All Its Worth" back in 2008, I am a fan. I am a young guy also, 77. I live in a suburb of Vancouver BC Canada and I have signed up for your workshop in Whitby Island, Washington in July. Looking forward to meeting you, happy travels!
    Don McNulty

    ReplyDelete